Laughter Yoga is a new form of exercise that promotes the use of laughter as a form of physical exercise.
Studies has shown these Health & Anti-Aging benefits:
- Laughter has been shown to benefit the immune system by increasing protective natural killer cells that help fight infection while lowering both the stress hormone cortisol and the inflammatory marker interleukin-6.
- Laughter will increase beneficial growth hormone, the anti-aging hormone that helps keep us young.
Physical health benefits of laughter:
- Boosts immunity
- Lowers stress hormones
- Decreases pain
- Relaxes your muscles
- Prevents heart disease
Mental health benefits of laughter:
- Adds joy and zest to life
- Eases anxiety and tension
- Relieves stress
- Improves mood
- Strengthens resilience
One prominent study performed in 2006 in Bangalore-India concluded that Laughter Yoga group monitored showed that:
- Cortisol levels were significantly reduced
- Positive emotions increased by 17%
- Negative emotions dropped by 27%
- Alexithymia (inability to identify and describe emotions in the self) dropped by almost 9% indicating a significant improvement in emotional intelligence.